Sunday, April 27, 2014

Installing Meteor on Ubuntu 14.04 (a.k.a Trusty Tahr).

I have an old Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop on which I decided to try the latest long term support version of the Ubuntu Desktop 14.04, or also known in the Ubuntu circles as, Trusty Tahr. Here are the steps I took to get the latest version of Meteor which as of this post is Release 0.8.0.1.

First, I did the usual update via:
$ sudo apt-get update

Then I installed Curl:
sudo apt-get install curl

After that I installed Meteor:
$ curl https://install.meteor.com | sh

As per the Discover Meteor book site,
Will need to ensure node and git are installed on your machine. Install them in the standard way for your OS, or try these links:

$ sudo apt-get install python-software-properties python g++ make
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chris-lea/node.js
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install nodejs

For github I found the following:

Here the following commands invoked from the terminal:
$ sudo apt-get install git-core

Then I installed the Meteorite Node Packaged Module:
$ npm install -g meteorite

Finally, I cloned my github repo of the Meteor app that I am currently coding:
and started that app:
$ mrt –settings settings.json

Enjoy!

No comments: