- I went to the Administration Console and selected *Servers*
- Expanded *Server Type* and selected *WebSphere application servers *
- Clicked on the name of my server.
- Expanded *Java and Process Management* and selected *Process Definition.*
- Under the *Additional Properties* section, clicked *Java Virtual Machine.*
- Scrolled down and located the textbox for *Generic JVM arguments*.
- It was there that I added the arguments.
I then attempted to restart the server only to note that it kept timing out before it would start. Now I had a dilemma in that in order to remove the JVM arguments that caused the server not to start the server had to start! A quick look into the app server's files I was able to find where the JVM settings are stored and therefore where I could remove the settings in order to allow the server to start.
Going to the AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\config\cells\ServerNameHereNode01Cell\nodes\ServerNameHereNode01\servers\server1\server.xml file, there is the genericJvmArguments node with the settings in the jvmEntries node.
After removing the settings, the server started successfully. At least now I can research which JVM setting was the culprit and adjust accordingly without hosing my local Websphere installation.